Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Three Books of Interest

Egads, I have been very busy lately! I've been preoccupied with various teaching commitments and a generally busy summer so please bear with me. Unfortunately I haven't been able to read as much as I would like, but I still endeavor to read as often as I can.

Currently, I have three books of interest checked out from the library:
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, Dreaming the Eagle by Manda Scott, and Queen of Swords by Judith Tarr.

At present, I am reading
A Game of Thrones. I must admit that while I am only a few chapters into the novel, (and consequently the series), I'm thoroughly confused due to the steady onslaught of names and references to wars, political factions, and geographical locations in addition to the wildly shifting point of view characters. From these first impressions, this will be a challenging read. I'm already resorting to Wikipedia articles on the series in order to clarify relationships between characters and historical events. I'm hoping that as I become more familiar with the world and its denizens (as well as Martin's style of writing) that I'll be able to keep track of everything better. I'll blog about my progress with the novel and other issues I encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment