Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Science Fiction Additions

Currently I'm still reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Following that are Queen of Swords by Judith Tarr and Dreaming the Eagle by Manda Scott. I must say that at the rate I'm going, getting through A Game of Thrones will take a while but thankfully I renewed my library books for a few more weeks. (^_^)

After noting that I've been reading mostly fantasy and historical fiction lately, I've decided to add some science fiction to my reading list. A few fantasy authors I hadn't heard of before or hadn't had the chance to read yet also made the cut. I've compiled these authors from several websites, including those recommended by my public library. Most likely I won't be able to read all of them but I like having variety. and there are many subgenres within SF. Science fiction is a new genre for me, both in terms of reading and writing so this will be a bit of an adventure! This list is as follows (alphabetically):

  1. Douglas Adams
  2. Isaac Asimov
  3. Iain Banks
  4. Alfred Bester
  5. Ray Bradbury
  6. David Brin
  7. Lous Master Bujold
  8. Jim Butcher
  9. Orson Scott Card
  10. Arthur C. Clarke
  11. Philip K. Dick
  12. Gordon R. Dickson
  13. Stephen Donaldson
  14. David Eddings
  15. Harlan Ellison
  16. Steven Eriksen
  17. Philip Jose Farmer
  18. David Gerrold
  19. William Gibson
  20. Terry Goodkind
  21. Peter Hamilton
  22. Harry Harrison
  23. Robert A. Heinlein
  24. Frank Herbert
  25. Robert Jordan
  26. Guy Gavriel Kay
  27. Gregory Keyes
  28. Ursula K. Le Guin
  29. Stanislaw Lem
  30. Laurie Marks
  31. Elizabeth Moon
  32. Larry Niven
  33. Frederick Pohl
  34. Terry Pratchett
  35. Karl Schroeder
  36. Robert Silverberg
  37. Dan Simmons
  38. E.E. "Doc" Smith
  39. Neal Stephenson
  40. Theodore Sturgeon
  41. Harry Turtledove
  42. Jack Vance
  43. Jules Verne
  44. David Weber
  45. H.G. Wells
  46. Tad Williams
  47. Jack Williamson
  48. Connie Willis
  49. Gene Wolfe
  50. Roger Zelanzy
Oi, that's a lot of authors! When I started searching, I really wanted about 10-15 but obviously I found a lot more! In any case, I have lot of material now and hopefully I'll learn more about the SF genre.

Now how about some appropriate mood music to go along with this science fiction collection? Personally when in a SF writing mood I tend to listen to/be inspired by: Juno Reactor, The Prodigy, KMFDM, early Powerman 5000 (not the recent punk stuff), Vapor Transmission by Orgy (although several songs from Candyass and Punk Statik Paranoia work well too), Amphibious Assault, Linkin Park, Razed in Black, and electronica-influenced Japanese musicians such as Takuya Angel, DJ SiSeN, Schwarz Stein, and GPKISM. If you have any suggestions, please let me know! I love mood music!

No comments:

Post a Comment