Saturday, June 12, 2010

Updated Reading List

I have returned! The last couple of weeks have been crazy busy because I've been studying for certification exams and starting my teaching assistantship. Lately I haven't been working on my novel much due to work commitments and various projects, and accordingly, I haven't been able to read for pleasure or update this blog as much as I would have liked. Things have calmed down for a bit, for now at least.

Since I've read several books from my original reading list, I've had to modify it. Here's the original list:

1. Arrows of the Queen (The Heralds of Valdemar, Book One) by Mercedes Lackey
2. The Borgia Bride: A Novel by Jeanne Kalogridis
3. Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle (Book One) by M.C. Scott
4. Bridget Jones' Diary: A Novel by Helen Fielding
5. Colman by Monica Furlong
6. Dealing With Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book One by Patricia C. Wrede
7. The Devil's Queen: A Novel of Catherine de Medici by Jeanne Kalogridis
8. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert
9. Eavesdropping: A Memoir of Blindness and Listening by Stephen Kuusisto
10. The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson
11. A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice, Book One) by George R. R. Martin
12. Homer's Daughter by Robert Graves
13. Japan Took the J.A.P. Out of Me by Lisa Fineberg
14. Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell
15. The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty
16. My Lady of Cleves: A Novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves by Margaret Campbell Barnes
17. The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicles, Day One) by Patrick Rothfuss
18. The Nanny Diaries: A Novel by Nicola Kraus and Emma McLaughlin
19. Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty
20. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

So far, I've read (or reread in some cases) #6, #7, #8, #16, #17, and #18. I checked out #14 but had to return it before I had a chance to read much of it. So far, I have not been able to locate #12 at any library so I think I might have to take it off the list due to unavailability.

In addition to the books on this list, I've found others: Dragonsbane by Barbara Hamly, Rebecca
by Daphne Du Maurier, The Widow of Jerusalem by Alan Gordon, and The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory.

For now, the modified reading list will look something like this:
  1. Arrows of the Queen (The Heralds of Valdemar, Book One) by Mercedes Lackey
  2. The Borgia Bride: A Novel by Jeanne Kalogridis
  3. Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle (Book One) by M.C. Scott
  4. Eavesdropping: A Memoir of Blindness and Listening by Stephen Kuusisto
  5. The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson
  6. A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice, Book One) by George R. R. Martin
  7. Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty
  8. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
At present, I put a hold on #1 and #6 and #3 is apparently available at the local library, so I will be picking that up as soon as possible. With that said, the list may expand to include subsequent series titles (i.e. Lackey, Scott, Martin) if they catch and hold my interest. Due to my recent boredom (and perhaps saturation) with the chick lit and historical fiction genres, I have decreased the selections from these two areas to one each.

I will remain rather busy this summer with various projects and commitments, but I will do my best to update this blog as often as I can and continue to work toward my reading goal. Once I read the eight books from my new reading list, I'll have to find new ones! Won't that be exciting?

No comments:

Post a Comment